Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cornwall 2002

Time to reminisce - during the long 4-day holiday weekend (1-4 June 2002) to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II, my spouse and I drove down to Cornwall for a holiday. Many people have the same idea too so we spent many hours stuck in an almost non-moving traffic. There were many caravans/motorhomes on the road, something that we do not see at all in Malaysia.

Since we seemed like not moving at all, we turned off the road at the Jamaica Inn hotel to have our breakfast.

When I was young, I love reading the novel, "Jamaica Inn" written by Daphne du Maurier, the dark romantic tale of smuggling and love in Cornwall so I had to take a picture of myself standing in front of the inn.

Then we stopped by Bodmin town. This is the Shire Hall in Bodmin which houses the Tourist Information Centre.

It was nearly evening when we finally reached Penzance, Cornwall and checked into the Tarbert Hotel.

The next day, very early in the morning, we took a boat to the island of St Michael’s Mount.

St Michael’s Mount Castle high up looming in the background of this photo.

Guns at the castle wall. We did not enter the castle, only enjoyed the view from the castle wall.

View from the castle wall.

Having lunch at the Island Cafe looking at the cause way.

In the afternoon, during low tide we were able to walk from the island back to the mainland via the cause way. It was a very nice walk and we had to avoid stepping on seaweeds lying in our path.

In the evening, we walked from Penzance to Mousehole, a small picturesque village and harbour. Little did we know that the distance is 4km and we had to walk uphill part of the way so we were really glad when we finally reached Mousehole.

The harbour at Mousehole. If you click on the photo above, you can see the words "1952 ER 2002" - marking the Golden Jubilee celebration.

We saw many wild seagulls there that were quite tame and even fed one seagull, an ice-cream cone. Only after that we noticed a sign that says "Do not feed the seagulls" ooops! Tired with walking, we took a bus back to Penzance

We then drove to Land's End and checked into the Land's End hotel in the photo above.

The clear blue sea at Land's End, Cornwall.

A windy day and a lovely view.

I love walking on hanging bridges, especially one with a great view.

Evening dinner at the Longships Restaurant at the hotel.

The famous Land's End signpost. We had to take this picture during the night as during the day, tourists queue and pay a fee to have their photographs taken professionally at this signpost.

We rented and drove this small and cute red Renault Clio car all the way from Newbury to Land's End (around 425km).

On our way back to Newbury, we passed by many wind turbine generators in a field and stopped for a photo.

We wanted to visit the Minack Theatre but sadly our schedule did not allow us to do so. Hopefully one day we will visit Cornwall again.

8 comments:

  1. Nice! Nice! Nice! Reminisce more. :) I love to read of your experiences abroad. Finally seen your face clearly too. Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Redbabe, I'm happy that you love reading my recollection of my days in UK. Posting it helps me remember too. Erh, my "8-year ago face" you mean ;) hehehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sound so tempting.......erm....I'll start dreaming now, and hope for the dreams to come true....hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. "ME N MY MILLION DOLLAR", wishing that your dreams will come true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww.... looks FUN! man! I'll definitely visit There if i have the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ApRil, nice to hear from you again. Yes, it's fun. Do visit St Michael's Mount if you have a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jealous!!! I've heard of Cornwall but haven't ever seen pictures. Beautiful! I never knew Jamaica Inn was a book. I remember seeing a movie when I was younger and it scared me to death. I'll have to look into that book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jamie, thanks for dropping by here. Yes, do check out the book - it is a good read. :)

    ReplyDelete